Subject: perl: cpan module's interactive mode fails
From: Stephan Petersen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:41:24 +0200

Hi guys,

I just ran "perl -MCPAN -e shell" and tried to install Bundle::LWP.

But when it does "Scanning cache /home/sp/.cpan/build for sizes", see 
below, it chokes with (see output below):

/usr/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
/usr/bin/tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error

I removed all ~/.cpan stuff, tried it again, no difference.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Stephan

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support enabled

cpan> install Bundle::LWP
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
   ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Couldn't fetch 01mailrc.txt.gz from ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/source/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Couldn't fetch 01mailrc.txt.gz from ftp.uni-erlangen.de
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
   ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Couldn't fetch 01mailrc.txt.gz from ftp.gwdg.de
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
   ftp://ftp.mpi-sb.mpg.de/pub/perl/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Couldn't fetch 01mailrc.txt.gz from ftp.mpi-sb.mpg.de

Trying with "/usr/bin/ncftpget" to get
 
ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
01mailrc.txt.gz:                                        85.46 kB  329.96 
kB/s
Going to read /home/sp/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz

Trying with "/usr/bin/ncftpget" to get
 
ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.
txt.gz
02packages.details.txt.gz:                             302.54 kB  347.35 
kB/s
Going to read /home/sp/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
   Database was generated on Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:07:33 GMT
   HTTP::Date not available

Trying with "/usr/bin/ncftpget" to get
 
ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
03modlist.data.gz:                                      84.50 kB  310.67 
kB/s
Going to read /home/sp/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to write /home/sp/.cpan/Metadata

Trying with "/usr/bin/ncftpget" to get
 
ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/CPAN/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/libwww
-perl-5.800.tar.gz
libwww-perl-5.800.tar.gz:                              223.53 kB  386.07 
kB/s
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok

Trying with "/usr/bin/ncftpget" to get
 
ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/CPAN/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/CHECKS
UMS
CHECKSUMS:                                              17.61 kB  164.58 
kB/s
Checksum for 
/home/sp/.cpan/sources/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.800.tar.g
z ok
Scanning cache /home/sp/.cpan/build for sizes
libwww-perl-5.800/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Cookies.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Status.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Cookies/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Cookies/Netscape.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Cookies/Microsoft.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Request/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Request/Common.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Headers/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Headers/Auth.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Headers/ETag.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Headers/Util.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Request.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Response.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Date.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Daemon.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Message.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Negotiate.pm
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Headers.pm
/usr/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
/usr/bin/tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
/usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Uncompressed 
/home/sp/.cpan/sources/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.800.tar.g
z successfully
Using Tar:/usr/bin/tar xvf 
/home/sp/.cpan/sources/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/libwww-pe
rl-5.800.tar:
libwww-perl-5.800/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/
libwww-perl-5.800/lib/HTTP/Cookies.pm
/usr/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
/usr/bin/tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
/usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Couldn't untar 
/home/sp/.cpan/sources/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.800.tar

cpan> quit
Lockfile removed.

-- 
Stephan Petersen [email-masked]

Visit GTT's Technical Thermochemistry Web Page at 
http://www.gtt-technologies.de/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/