Subject: Can I install Cygwin if I have a C: drive but run Windows from H:\WINDOWS\?
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:39:49 +0100

Near to this office there is a machine that is partitioned to run Windows
from its H: drive and this is its default startup mode.

It has a C: drive and may even have a C:\WINDOWS\ directory, but both are
irrelevant to daily running.

Please can you remind me what Cygwin "expects" and/or "requires"?

I know we can install Cygwin wherever we like (default c:\Cygwin\ but it
could be c:\MyOS\ or g:\Cygwin\ or even, after overcoming an objection, the
root directory g:\). But has Cygwin its own expectations of what else is
where?

In this case h:\MyOS\ was tried as the installation directory for Cygwin,
and failed.

Sorry, I wasn't there, so can't describe the nature of the failure. There
may have been significant user confusion. But, could the failure have been
due either to the lack of a c:\WINDOWS\ directory or the fact that the
machine was operated from H:? (Or both.)

I'm afraid that I know none of SystemDrive or SystemRoot or windir for this
machine. I imagine they were all H:something. 

Thanks.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/