Subject: Re: Perl packaging suggestion - vendor_perl
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:26:58 +0200

Hello Max,

>>> Would it be possible to package the extra modules included in the Cygwin
>>> perl package in the vendor_perl hierarchy?
>> Sure, this is obviously a good thing.

> Thanks! I look forward to 5.8.6 or whatever.

>>> This would leave the site_perl hierarchy clear for site additions, and
>>> allow site additions to be purged without affecting parts of the
>>> package. 

>> More interesting is that you can install your own version which goes
>> to site_perl and overrides the distributed version in vendor_perl
>> which is last path in the search order.

> I've never understood that.

> It seems to me that "site, vendor, core" would be a better order - to allow
> core modules to be upgraded by a package. Or am I missing something?

IIRC, core modules are installed into the main path, replacing the old
version.  And one should always use `UNINST=1` when installing modules
anyway (I have this as default in my CPAN config file).

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/