Subject: Re: gtk2-x11: Functions whose name started with '_'
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Yaakov Selkowitz <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:59:51 +0200

Hello Yaakov,

> Your ports of gtk2-x11 are also affected by the following problem, as I
> found out while trying to build wxGTK2.  Would you be able to rebuild
> gtk2-x11 to fix this?  Thanks!

To remove the -export-symbols option and make the DLL to export all
symbols (also the private)?  Hmmm, I'm no friend of using .def files
at all, but I'm not sure if is the right thing to simply export all 
symbols.

The application authors should not use private symbols.  If there is
need to use those functions and there are no public functions which do
the same thing, then they may go to the GTK folks and convince them
that the specific function should be made public instead of private.

What do the GTK developers say about the private / public functions
issue, was there discussion on the GTK lists already?

What do the application authors say?  Simply "Rebuild your GTK if
these symbols are not available"?

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/