Subject: Cygwin postinstall hang, again
From: "Shrisha Rao" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:23:56 -0500

Greetz.

I know that this problem has been discussed several times previously, but I
didn't find any clear answers in the documentation or the list archives, so
here goes again.  The setup.exe process hangs during postinstall on certain
scripts (most importantly for me, on post-texmf.sh).  I am installing Cygwin
afresh on a new P4 XP laptop, and I don't think it is because of some other
application.  I tried scrubbing all files and trying afresh, and the problem
recurs each time.

Previous suggestions re this problem (esp. the one about launching setup.exe
from a Windows shell) did not work.  I am able to complete a
partially-functional install by using Windows Task Manager to kill an sh.exe
process (size 2064 KB or thereabouts) repeatedly whenever setup hangs, but
this does not completely solve the problem.  I need LaTeX to be working on
Cygwin, for example, but the post-texmf.sh hangs, and though `which latex'
and `latex --version' report a correct install when I kill an offending
sh.exe using Task Manager, when I try to run LaTeX on a file, it hangs with
`kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt'.  When this happens on Linux one
needs to `texhash', but here `texhash' hangs too.  Running post-texmf.sh
from the Bash shell also causes that script to hang.

The setup.log shows some strange entries for the offending scripts:

2004/08/03 00:44:23 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh
2004/08/03 00:44:44 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:44:44 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/base-files-profile.sh
2004/08/03 00:45:29 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:45:29 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/cron.sh
2004/08/03 00:45:44 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:45:44 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:45:44 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-ada.sh
2004/08/03 00:46:29 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:46:29 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:46:29 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-core.sh
2004/08/03 00:47:09 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:47:09 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:47:09 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-g++.sh
2004/08/03 00:47:38 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:47:38 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:47:38 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-g77.sh
2004/08/03 00:48:15 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:48:15 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:48:15 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-gpc.sh
2004/08/03 00:48:37 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:48:37 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:48:37 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-java.sh
2004/08/03 00:49:33 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:49:33 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:49:33 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gcc-mingw-objc.sh
2004/08/03 00:50:05 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:50:05 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/man.sh
2004/08/03 00:50:17 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:50:17 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh
2004/08/03 00:50:25 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:50:25 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh
2004/08/03 00:52:39 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:52:39 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/tcsh.sh
2004/08/03 00:52:46 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:52:46 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/terminfo.sh
2004/08/03 00:52:49 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:52:49 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh
2004/08/03 00:54:36 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:54:36 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/wget.sh
2004/08/03 00:54:39 error: Unable to remove temporary file
'/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876'
2004/08/03 00:54:46 mbox note: Nothing needed to be installed
2004/08/03 00:54:48 Ending cygwin install

The file '/var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa02876' has just the one line:

cp: cannot stat `/usr/doc/wget-1.9.1/sample.wgetrc': No such file or
directory

My cygcheck.out is attached.  Sorry for the long-winded problem reportany
clarifications.  , but I would appreciate

Regards,

Shrisha Rao
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/