Subject: cvs package bug: cannot open val-tags file
From: Gervase Markham <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:50:12 +0100

[Apologies if this is the wrong place for this bug report - cvshome.org 
is so impenetrable that I can't even search to see if this is an 
upstream cvs bug or not.]

In Cygwin CVS 1.11.6-3 (but not 1.11.5-1 or 1.11.0-1), when trying to 
pull by tag, the following error is encountered:

D:\mozilla>cvs -d //machine/share co -P -r NSPRPUB_PRE_4_2_CLIENT_BRANCH 
mozilla/nsprpub
cvs checkout: warning: cannot open //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags 
read/write
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot read //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags

Many other CVS operations (checkout, checkin, update) seem to work fine 
- it's only pulling by tag which fails.

The repository in question is a copy of the Mozilla CVS repository, 
rsynced to a Win2K machine using Cygwin rsync and then SMB shared as 
readable and writable by all.

The client machines we tried this on were running Win2K or Win2K3. 
CVSROOT was "//machine/sharepoint" when we didn't specify it on the 
command line. CYGWIN was set to "nontsec". The machine can cat and touch 
the val-tags file on the share - it seems that only the CVS process 
cannot see it correctly.

We solved the issue by downgrading CVS to 1.11.5-1 using the Cygwin 
setup.exe, so the problem is not urgent for us.

If more information is required, please ask. I'm subscribed to the 
digest version of the list, so it may take a day or two to get a response.

Many thanks for your time,

Gerv

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/