Subject: fopen()/fclose() turns off compression
From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:18:51 -0700

I wrote about this issue before, but now I have something specific to
report. I'm running the latest Cygwin on WinXP Pro SP1, and have my HDD
formatted NTFS. I also have it set to compress all new and modified
files (compression set for the HDD, inheritable to all directories and
files). fopen (file_name, "w")/fclose() on an already-existing file
overwrites it as expected, but the new file will have the NTFS
compression attribute turned off. fopen()/fclose() on a new (not yet
existing file) results in a compresed file. Earlier Cygwin versions did
not do this, and all files created or modified by Cygwin apps correctly
inherited all NTFS file attributes.

Jeff

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/