Subject: Re: Wrapping long lines (Was Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?")
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:01:41 -0700

William Blunn wrote:

> I only wish that I could go back in time and show the inventor of <PRE>
> the havoc they have wreaked by making it turn off wrapping by default.

I'm pretty sure you were joking here but if not...

That's the whole point of PRE, that it *doesn't* wrap.  It's for text
that's been preformatted, with linefeeds and spacing already
determined.  If PRE were to mangle the text by wrapping it at some
margin, it would totally defeat the purpose of the tag.

What really needs to be improved is mhonarc or whatever app is used to
make the web archives.  It should detect when the message contains no
linebreaks and not use PRE but rather let the browser render it as
normal text, so that it will be wrapped to the width of the screen as
intended.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/