Subject: Re: Building DLL
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Maarten Boekhold <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:28:26 +0200

Maarten wrote:

> Hi all,

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> Maarten wrote:
>>>Now that GTK2 is in the package tree, I thought I'd give building XFCE a
>>>try. This package depends on 'Disk based hashes' (dbh), which needs to
>>>be built as a shared library. Dbh uses libtool in its build process.

>> You don't need .def files on Cygwin.  Just add -no-undefined to
>> libxyz_LDFLAGS.

> Of course Gerrit is right. Adding this works. *But only if I use a copy
> of /usr/autotool/devel/bin/libtool*. I.e. I always have to do:

> autoreconf
> ./configure ....
> cp /usr/autotool/devel/bin/libtool .
> make && make install

> However, the reported version number of this libtool is the same as the
> one created through configure (autoreconf?) (1.5.6). Is the version 
> distributed with cygwin a patched version? If so, is there an official
> release of the autotools that include those patches? If so I'd like to
> try to convince the XFCE developers to upgrade...

The libtool used by autoreconf should be from /usr/autotool/devel/...
You can be sure if you use `autoreconf --install --verbose --force`
since older autoreconf versions doesn't like these options.

The latest libtool release works ok on Cygwin for the most source
packages.  There are some limitations.  AFAIK, the libtool-devel
includes some post 1.5 libtool-cvs version, so everything included there
is also in the latest release.

> Finally, (I know, not really the correct list for this): I'm only 
> vaguely familiar with the whole autotools toolchain, and I was wondering
> if somebody could show me some boiler plate configure.ac/Makefile.am 
> content so that I can forward the XFCE developers a patch to 
> conditionally include '-no-undefined' to the libtool invocation in the
> XFCE build process...

Look at the glib / gtk+ / atk / pango configure.in files, there are some
nice hacks for this, I also patched libextractor's configure.in recently
to include some conditionals for Cygwin (already in the latest release
available).  But I recommend to always use -no-undefined. Works on Linux
too;) 

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/