Subject: Re: sysvinit
From: Gordon Cichon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "A. Alper Atici" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:05:34 +0200

Hi all,

I'm still trying to get xinetd to run from cygwin. I installed 
everything according to the instructions. However, init does not make 
any visible attempt to start xinetd. I can start it by hand using the 
init script. telinit does not do anything, and starting the 
Windows-service does not do anything either.

What is going wrong? How can I trace what init is doing? Additionally, 
there seems to be something strange with the user-mapping between 
Windows and Cygwin. The Windows service starts as user "NetworkService" 
which does not seem to have an entry in /etc/passwd.

Best Regards,
Gordon.

>1. Install inetutils package.
>2. Run iu-config.
>3. Install sysvinit package.
>4. Run init-config (install init as service, make sure it starts OK)
>5. Install initscripts package.
>6. Install xinetd and chkconfig packages.
>
>Try:
>/sbin/telinit 1
>then,
>/sbin/telinit 3
>and you should have xinetd up and running, check event log for sanity
>(I get "permission denied" errors for /dev/console when changing run
>levels).
>  
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/