Subject: JOE+Cygwin+WinXPpro+NTFS=no compression
From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:52:54 -0700

One never knows what's going to happen when software package features
interact. :( I'm running the latest Cygwin (1.5.10-3) on Windows XP
Pro. My HDD is formatted NTFS, with compression enabled-- that is to
say, compression is enabled for the drive, with the attribute set to be
inheritable to all directories and files created or modified on it
(it's sort-of like umask on POSIX).

I am happy to say that Joseph Allen, creator of JOE (Joe's Own Editor),
is once again developing his editor (get it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/joe-editor/). Ver. 3.1 has recently
been released, and includes many new features. One of the unexpected
ones, however, is that it turns off the compression attribute on my
system, on any file it saves or modifies. No other Cygwin (nor any
other Windows) app does this, and no previous version of JOE (2.9.8 and
earlier) that I have built and run under this or any previous version
of Cygwin does it either. I have no clue where to even begin looking
for a solution (but I've posted this request to one of the joe-editor
boards at Sourceforge, as well). Yes, I know that it's only a nuisance
and not critical, but still..

Jeff

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/