Subject: Re: cygwin installer
From: "Jonah Bossewitch" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:36:30 -0400

Hi Rob,

Thanks for responding.

I'm sorry I didn't explain my situation well enough.  We have a specific
application that we are trying to port to windows - it is a command line
genetics simulation that is a suite of programs written in Fortran77 and C,
glued together with a few csh scripts.  The professor used to have all his
students run the application on their central server, but it has started
using up too much cpu and is an administrative hassle.

He would like them all to be able to run his program on their own windows
desktops. From my perspective, porting this application under cygwin is the
path of least resistance, since we won't need to fork the codebase (the
shell script does more than just call the executables - it acts as the
controller -- presenting menus to the user, dispatching requests, sets up
the input and output directories, and even uses awk for some processing).
So you see, it is not really important that we keep up to date with cygwin
libraries - provided we ship with an environment that our program can run
in.

I ran across another gpl project that takes this installer approach
http://octave.sourceforge.net/Octave_Windows.htm -- I just couldn't find a
description of how they packaged up their application within a windows
installer.

With this in mind, do you think I would still need to fork the setup code?

Thanks again,
Jonah

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/