Subject: Re: prime95 adversely affects update on w2k
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:25:59 -0700

Neil Somos wrote:

> I am writing in the hope of saving others some grief.
> 
> Prime95 (http://mersenne.org/) soaks up all available background
> CPU cycles while trying to help find large mersenne primes.
> 
> Apparently when it is running, it prevents some or all of the
> postinstall activity from completing.  (On windows 2000 anyway)
> 
> It is a simple matter to temporarily disable prime95 while
> install/updates are taking place, provided one knows that this
> is important.

If this is indeed true then it's a bug and should be looked into. 
Prime95 runs at the lowest possible priority level.  One of the goals of
p95 to have it affect the normal functions of the computer as little as
possible, i.e. stay out of the way.

Can you narrow it down to any particular package that cannot complete
its postinstall?  Can you reproduce it in any controlled way?

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/