Subject: Re: Running ssh from procmail
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:05:48 -0700

Peter Wisnovsky wrote:

>     socket: Operation not permitted
>     ssh: connect to host #.#.#.# port 22: Operation not permitted

How are you scheduling fetchmail to run?  From cron?  If it's running
from cron, then it will be running as the SYSTEM user.  It will be
impersonating your regular user account, but since it's launched from a
service it will actually be the SYSTEM account that owns the process. 
I've read that on recent server versions (e.g. Win2k3) the SYSTEM
account has less privileges assigned to it by default, one of which
might be "access the network."  If that's the case then it would explain
why it cannot gethostbyaddr() to resolve the hostname, and why the
socket functions fail with "operation not permitted" if supplied a
dotted-quad.  Try adding that privilege, or have crun run as the
"NetworkService" instead of "LocalServer" or whatever it's called.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/