Subject: Macros "major" and "minor"
From: Martin Magnusson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:41:32 +0200

I recently ran into problems when compiling a matrix library containing 
a function called "minor". Apparently, the file 
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h has the following definitions:

#ifdef __CYGWIN_USE_BIG_TYPES__
#define major(dev) ((int)(((dev) >> 16) & 0xffff))
#define minor(dev) ((int)((dev) & 0xffff))
#define makedev(major, minor) (((major) << 16) | ((minor) & 0xffff))
#else
#define major(dev) ((int)(((dev) >> 8) & 0xff))
#define minor(dev) ((int)((dev) & 0xff))
#define makedev(major, minor) (((major) << 8) | ((minor) & 0xff))
#endif

Defining macros with names like "major" and "minor" is really not good, 
IMO. This should probably be changed, if possible.

/ martin

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/