Subject: Re: nice not setting above/below normal
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:27:52 -0700

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> 
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 05:42:38AM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> > reserved for real-time processes.  The remaining range 1-15 are the
> > regular (dynamic) priorities that most processes run with.  In reality
> > you don't set the priority directly this way, rather you choose a
> > priority class (realtime, high, normal, idle; corresponding to 24, 13,
> > 8, 4) and then a modifier (highest, above normal, normal, below normal,
> > lowest; corresponding to +2, +1, 0, -1, -2).
> 
> Is that correct?  Shouldn't idle be 3 to allow the full 1-15 range?

According to sysinternals' Process Explorer, idle is indeed 4.  I
haven't double checked with anything on MSDN but I don't see why it
would not be displaying the correct thing, given that it shows the
priority on the 0-31 scale for every process so it must be using the
NTDLL level calls.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/