Subject: FW: wish84 incredibly slow
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:20:38 +0100

>> I have been using Cygwin on a very slow Toshiba.
>> I have tried strace -o wish.log /bin/wish84
>> but get a file an amazing 7000 lines long.

> Sort wish.log on the first colum and see what calls
> took the longest.

Thank you for this suggestion. Here are the last few lines of the sorted
files in 3 examples (all different but all similar). Some of the individual
waiting times / cumulative times are so extended that the column array of
wish.log was compromised, so the sort had to be done quite carefully. The
original files are too long for the list to accept, otherwise I would have
attached them.

In all cases the longest calls are those of the style

	[main] wish84 ---- normalize_posix_path:

but on every occasion that I tried this experiment, the longest individual
call, dwarfing all others, is a call towards the end (actually 17th from
last in all the examples of wish.log that I tried) beginning

	[unknown ...

In one instance this call took more than 100 times longer than the next
longest call, but usually the factor was order 10-30. 

Thank you.

Fergus
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/