Subject: Re: nice not setting above/below normal
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: "'cygwin-list'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:42:38 -0700

"Mironov, Leonid {PBG}" wrote:

> If I am to believe windows task manager windows processes can have 6
> priority levels - realtime, high, above normal, normal, below normal and
> low, but cygwin nice can set only 2: when -n parameter is above 0 priority
> is set to low, when -n is below 0 priority is set to high, actual value of
> -n parameter is ignored. Am I missing something or ...?
> 
> windows XP SP1, nice 2.0.15 (sh-utuils 2.0.15.4)

I don't know about 'nice', but Windows actually has 32 priority levels. 
Priority 0 is reserved for the system idle process, and 16-31 are
reserved for real-time processes.  The remaining range 1-15 are the
regular (dynamic) priorities that most processes run with.  In reality
you don't set the priority directly this way, rather you choose a
priority class (realtime, high, normal, idle; corresponding to 24, 13,
8, 4) and then a modifier (highest, above normal, normal, below normal,
lowest; corresponding to +2, +1, 0, -1, -2).

Thus the priorities you see in taskman consist of the four base classes,
and the +2 and -2 variants of 'normal', thus: idle (4), below normal
(6), normal (8), above normal (10), high (13), and realtime (24).

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/