Subject: Re: Annoucement: GCC-3.4.0 binary release candidat
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: "Arthur I Schwarz" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:04:39 +0200

Hi Arthur,

you wrote:

> Well I'v tried to compile GCC 3.4.0. My results are given for two machines
> with Win2000 and the latest version of Cygwin with gcc-3.3.1.

>   My home computer, AMD 2100+. No problems. Ada didn't compile correctly
> but that's probably my fault.

I got an error with Ada / gcc-3.4.0 when I used -O3 plus some more
optimization flags, but it builds just fine with default settings.

>   My work computer, Intel 800Mhz. Problems. See below.

You probably are missing the win32api package which includes the import
libraries and headers for accessing the Windows DLLs.

> Configure was vanilla flavored. If I remember, something like
> "./configure".

> I'd like to help and (most particularly) I'd like to find out what to do
> and where to find what to do.

I can compile libjava, but when jv-convert (gcc-3.3.3) should be linked
I get errors with multiple defined symbols.  I found a two year old
thread and a patch which was integrated, but it seems that this doesn't
work anymore for Cygwin.  Well, I could link jv-convert (gcc 3.4.0) in
the first try, however it crashes when I try to run it.  As I tried a
second time I got undefined references when linking jv-convert.

So it seems I have no luck with Java and probably I'll release gcc-3.3.3
without Java included.

If someone with a fast machine could test / track down whether it is
a libjava / gcjh problem or if it is a problem with cygwin-1.5.10
(which is the version I'm currently using).

I also tried the 2004-06-04 cygwin snapshot with the same result.

No matter if you take 3.3.3, 3.3.4 or 3.4.0, I cannot build libjava in
all three versions.

My next bet is to downgrade to cygwin-1.5.9 and try if this works
better.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/