Subject: wish84: incredibly slow
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:03:11 +0100

I have been using Cygwin on a very slow Toshiba. By which I mean one can
sometimes wait 1 or 2 or 3 secs for what appears instantaneous on other
machines. But wish84 requires geological time to respond, as in:

-- at the bash or rxvt or xterm prompt: 

        $ wish  # delay 25 secs for panel to appear 
        $ wish  # delay 25 secs for panel to appear 
        $ wish  # delay 5 secs for panel to appear 

and thereafter, 5 secs' delay. 

Incidentally, I might have understood "all responses slow", "all responses
fast", "1st slow, subsequent fast" but I find "1st and 2nd responses slow,
subsequent fast" extremely odd?

I have tried strace -o wish.log /bin/wish84 but get a file an amazing 7000
lines long. In any case, I'm not asking you to crack my problems for me, I'm
just wondering at this stage whether a wish84 expert can say "Yes, that's
the way wish84 behaves and must behave: on an old machine the time lag is
accentuated". 

Fergus 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/