Subject: Re: rxvt, ssh and utf8 - partial success
From: James Garrison <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:27:40 -0500

Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:

> Hello, James,
> 
> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:21:57PM -0500, James Garrison wrote:
[snip]
> 
> About ascii instead of Unicode... How do you conclude that the program
> (which one?) was sending Unicode sequences before using rxvt-cygwin (=>
> what is your locale?).

The program is redhat-switch-mail-nox.  With TERM=rxvt I get
3-byte sequences for box-drawing characters.  I piped stdout
to a file and then examined it with od, and was able to
resolve the 3-byte sequences into valid UTF8 encodings.
Looking in a unicode font with Windows Character Map showed
that these unicode sequences were box-drawing characters.
Switch to TERM=rxvt-cygwin (after putting a copy of the
rxvt-cygwin terminfo file on the linux system) and voila,
single-byte hyphens/bars/plus-signs instead.

The locale is en_US.UTF-8.  Here are some interesting results:

With LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and TERM=rxvt-cygwin
    redhat-switch-mail-nox: corner="+", horizontal="-", vertical="|"
    man terminfo:  UTF-8 quotes

With LANG=en_US (no UTF-8) and TERM=rxvt-cygwin
    redhat-switch-mail-nox: corner=">", horizontal="^", vertical="|"
    man terminfo:  ` and '

Clearly the locale and TERM settings are interacting, but I don't know
enough about them to deduce any rules.  Looks like the simplest
solution is just to switch to en_US locale unless I really need
Unicode for something.

-- 
James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
mailto:[email-masked]                    5608 Parkcrest Dr
http://www.athensgroup.com                    Austin, TX 78731
PGP: RSA=0x92E90A3B DH/DSS=0x498D331C         (512) 345-0600 x150

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/