Subject: Re: cygwin gcc performance
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: "Matthieu VIAL" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:17:48 +0200

Hallo Matthieu,

> Could someone explain me why gcc cygwin compiler take so long to build a
> simple hello world program compared with mingw ?

The system calls go through cygwin1.dll and not directly to the system
(for every for executable linked against cygwin1.dll).

You may speed up your compiler if you build it optimized for your
platform.  The distributed gcc is compiled for arch=i486, optimized
for your processor would result in a speedup about 20-30%. 

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/