Subject: Re: rxvt, ssh and utf8
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:19:01 -0700

James Garrison wrote:

> So, DOES the rxvt in Cygwin support UTF8?  If yes, how do I
> enable it (There's nothing in the man page).

Well I don't know about Unicode box/line drawing characters but I've
always found that applications that expect to use the line drawing
characters (such as mc) only work if you set TERM to "rxvt-cygwin"
instead of the default "rxvt".

I do find it a bit frustrating that I can't just use "rxvt-cygwin" as my
default term, because apparently its terminfo isn't fully fleshed out or
something.  Programs like 'less' complain of a "not fully functional"
terminal and don't work right if I do that.  So I just alias mc to
"TERM=rxvt-cygwin mc", which is not a very pretty solution.  I'd love to
know why one or the other terminal setting can't just work for
everything.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/