Subject: rxvt, ssh and utf8
From: James Garrison <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:51:55 -0500

I'm using rxvt to open an SSH session to a RedHat Enterprise
Linux system.  On that system I want to run an ansi-based
app that happens to use Unicode UTF8 encoding for box-drawing
characters.

I can't seem to get rxvt to correctly interpret the UTF8.
It just displays the 3-byte UTF8 sequences as three garbage
bytes.

Here's what I have tried so far:

1) Running rxvt with a Unicode font (Lucida Console) that I have
    verified (in Windows Character Map) contains the necessary
    characters at the correct code points

2) Setting the CYGWIN environment variable to "tty utf8" by
    hand in the rxvt session

3) Setting the CYGWIN environment variable globally in Windows
    to "tty utf8" so it is in effect when rxvt is launched.

In no case does rxvt display the correct charcters.  I've also
noticed that commands like "man" are using unicode characters for
single quotes now (UTF8 0xE28099 == U+2019) and these also
display as garbage sequences of three bytes each.

I did a search of the archives but found nothing appropriate.

So, DOES the rxvt in Cygwin support UTF8?  If yes, how do I
enable it (There's nothing in the man page).

-- 
James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
mailto:[email-masked]                    5608 Parkcrest Dr
http://www.athensgroup.com                    Austin, TX 78731
PGP: RSA=0x92E90A3B DH/DSS=0x498D331C         (512) 345-0600 x150

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/