Subject: Re: decoding sshd failure
From: Andy Rushton <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:40:05 +0100

Someone wrote:

>>>Below is a fragment of output from sshd -d -d -d
>>>
>>>Can someone tell me why it doesn't like my publickey?  I think I've done
>>>everything right, but no joy.  I can login using the password just fine.
>>>      
>>>
Sorry, I missed the start of this thread so I don't know who the 
original author is but I have some suggestions:

I had a problem with ssh not finding my .ssh directory. It turned out 
that ssh gets your home directory from /etc/passwd and not from $HOME 
and in my case, for perverse Windows-related reasons I don't understand, 
this was different. Editing /etc/passwd fixed it. Check the path that 
ssh is reporting that its looking in and check that this is the right place.

Also, I had an embarrassing error the first time I set this up - being 
British I spelt authorized_keys with an 's' not a 'z'. It took me a 
while to spot the problem.

You don't say what your directory structure is, so could one of these be 
the problem?

Andy

-- 
Andy Rushton, Southampton, UK

   Be careful or be road-kill.
		  -- Calvin

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/