Subject: Re: ZZZRemovedPackages
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:22:31 -0700

Hans Horn wrote:

> whenever I try to install anything using setup, some of the
> ZZZRemovedPackages stuff is selected automatically.
> Could somebody pls shed a light on why that is so?
> Perhaps because I do have some other mysterious package installed that
> requires stuff from ZZZRemovedPackages?
> 
> Anybody there that knows which packages require something that was removed,
> but didn't get removed themselves???

The X11 packages have been renamed.  The old packages named Xfree86-foo
are now called xorg-x11-foo, where foo is one of base, bin, doc, etc,
and many others.  A lot of packages still have dependencies on the old
names of the packages, so these dummy packages are still there as glue
so that when a package lists a requirement of Xfree86-bin, xorg-x11-bin
is actually installed.

In other words, ignore the 'RemovedPackages' category, they're just
dummy packages to assist in the transition.  If you want X11 (or
anything depending on X11) you should have the xorg-x11-* packages
installed, which are the relevant ones.

The reason for the naming change IIRC was due to the license change of
Xfree and the mass exodus of developers from that project to x.org, a
more open environment.  The name change reflects that, as well as a
general cleanup of the packaging structure for the X11 system.

Further questions about this should probably go to cygwin-xfree @
cygwin.com, which is the appropriate place for Cygwin/X11 discussion.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/