Subject: Re: [OT] RE: Problems listing tasks under cygwin.
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 02:23:30 -0700

Dave Korn wrote:

> [ObCygwin]  Sysinternals' tools are invaluable for diagnosing cygwin
> problems just as much as windoze problems.  Trouble with access perms for
> your cron daemon service?  See what's going on with tokenmon.  Trouble with
> file access?  Filemon will show you what files are involved.  Need lofs
> functionality?  Use HandleEx or ProcExp.  And so on!

Although I'd still like to know why using ProcExp to list the handles*
of any running Cygwin process causes the CPU to peg to 100%, and not
come down until cygwin1.dll is unloaded, i.e. kill all running cygwin
tasks and services.  I've had to train myself when using ProcExp to
never accidently click on any Cygwin process, otherwise I have to go
through the annoying process of closing all rxvt's and stopping all
cygservices in order to get an idle CPU again...  I've seen this
reported to the list before but it got no replies.  It started several
notches back in the 1.5 series when there were a large number of changes
to the signal handling code, IIRC.

[*] It could be listing DLLs that causes it, but I don't want to find
out at the moment.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/