Subject: Re: How to start windows version gvim for cygwin correctly?
From: Luc Hermitte <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Vim ML <[email-masked]>, Peng Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:31:51 +0200

Hello,

[I've set a reply-to to vim's mailing list and your email address; you
may need to be registered to post on this mailing-list]

Just a little note first, I use the win32 version of vim since the
version 5.8 (the beta version 6.3a is very recent) and cygwin. So far, I
have no problems.

My $HOME directory for windows (XP) and for Cygwin is set to
f:\users\Luc (or the cygwin's equivalent). I do not wanted it to be
function of how I launch gVim.

* On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 04:30:46PM -0700, Peng Yu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> /cygdrive/d/Program\ Files/vim/vim61/gvim.exe
> 
> When enter the above command in cygwin, gvim window popup. But it
> seems that gvim doesn't load "D:\Program Files\vim\_vimrc".

Do you have a _vimrc in your $HOME ?  This file is searched according to
what is said there:
    :h .vimrc
This should help you find your _vimrc.
otherwise, you can add
    call confirm('.vimrc in '.expand('%:p:h'), '&Ok', 1)
in every _vimrc, .vimrc, _exrc you can find on your system to be sure
which one you are using.

> In addition, it creates a file _viminfo in my home directory versus
> using the default _viminfo in "D:\Program Files\vim\"

This is a safe setting IMHO.

> Do you have any idea about make gvim use the default _viminfo file
> without writing a new file in my cygwin home directory?

Once you have found where your _vimrc is stored, set the option viminfo
accordingly to your wishes.
    :h 'viminfo'

HTH
-- 
Luc Hermitte
http://hermitte.free.fr/cygwin/
http://hermitte.free.fr/vim/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/