Subject: sed -i causes +S+H
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:55:20 +0100

Just at the moment

	sed -i 's/../../g' file1

causes the edited file 'file1' to possess attributes not just +A as one
might expect but also +S +H.

(This does not happen if you use a different syntax sed 's/../../g' file1 >
file2 in which case the edited file 'file2' possesses just +A.)

This (sed -i) seems an arbitrary and damaging change to the file's
permissions: indeed, if you then try editing file1 using nano, there is a
"Error writing file1: Permission denied" error message when an attempt is
made to save the file after the editing process is completed.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/