Subject: Re: newline in patch command output
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 08:20:23 -0700

Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:

> > patch is a tricky area in terms of line-endings.  This is mostly
> > explained in <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00492.html>.
> 
> Wow! How did you locate this message?
> 
> I see it appearing in results for "patch newlines" but not for "patch
> newline" (I use marc.theaimsgroup.com).

I use Google.  I think I started with "site:cygwin.com inurl:ml patch
textmode" and followed a couple of threads.

> So, my only option is having a hacked version of patch that writes with
> CR?

Perhaps running u2d afterwards, dunno...  You might also try building
patch with textmode.o linked in, but I'm not sure if that would do what
you want.

> BTW, I've tried also diffing and patching CR/LF terminated trees in Unix
> mode. Patch failed to apply diff output (it was LF-terminated, IIRC) to
> a CR/LF-terminated tree. Any idea why?

Probably what happened was patch got confused because it saw CRLF line
endings on the target file but just LF in the patch file, and so
couldn't find any common matching context between them.  In the case of
a textmode mount, patch would see LF endings in both the patch and the
target, and so the contexts matched up.

> > Corinna might be able to clarify why this must be so.
> 
> I would greatly appreciate if she does.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/