Subject: Re: newline in patch command output
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 06:50:43 -0700

Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I wish to use diff and patch on files with CR/LF newlines. I've
> installed cygwin with DOS text file type. Diff produced a patch with
> CR/LF. When I try to apply this patch, the modified files contain only
> LF, and I have to run unix2dos on them. How can I make patch produce
> output files with CR/LF in DOS mode?
> 
> I've tried to search this in google and list archives, but "patch"
> brought too many false hits :( .

patch is a tricky area in terms of line-endings.  This is mostly
explained in <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00492.html>. 
Patch can read in either binmode or textmode (depending on the mount and
presense of --binary) but it always writes its output in binmode, which
is what causes your CRs to go away.  Corinna might be able to clarify
why this must be so.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/