Subject: Re: Autarkic fortune/strfile usage possible?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 05:44:44 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

> I wonder if "outsourcing" of both fortune and strfile executables is
> possible, so these programs might be run independently on a Win32 system
> lacking the regular Cygwin environment.
> Is it feasible somehow to supply just the indispensable Cygwin library
> (or libraries) to Windows, so fortune and strfile (needed for generating
> fortune's dat files) can be run via cmd.exe?
> Fortune is a unique, lovely little program, I'd like to use on other
> machines as well - without Cygwin.

No, there's no way to "cherry pick" only certain parts of Cygwin.  But
it doesn't really matter, just include cygwin1.dll in the same directory
as the .exe's on your target system and it will run from from CMD or any
other invocation.  There's nothing magical about the "Cygwin bash
prompt".  Cygwin executables just need the dll available at runtime,
like any other Windows program.

Note however that having multiple cygwin1.dll's floating around will
lead to headaches so if you plan to distribute this, it would be best to
check if a cygwin1.dll is already in the path somewhere before
installing another one.  And of course, if you distribute cygwin1.dll or
anything linked against it you must also distribute the Cygwin source
code with your application, or make it available on your site.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/