Subject: Re: How download gcc + its source?
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: lazer1 <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gerrit @ cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:02:58 +0200

lazer1 wrote:

>>This will pull also the gcc-mingw-core package which includes the
>>headers, libraries and symlinks to make use of the -mno-cygwin flag to
>>create cygwin independant binaries.

> programs that will run from outside the cygwin shell?

> how would I do hello world say hello.c,

> would it be:

> gcc -mno-cygwin -c hello.c -o hello.o
> gcc -mno-cygwin -o hello hello.o

> ?

Yes.

> (doing it in 2 stages in case I want to link several files),

>>If you want to compile C++, Ada, ObjC, Pascal, Fortran or Java sources
>>you'll need one or more of the gcc-xyz packages, please see the short
>>description displayed in the setup.exe chooser.

> for the moment just C,

>>Setup.exe also selects automatically the according MinGW packages if
>>one of the gcc-xyz packages is selected.  There are also some other
>>dependencies (i.e. ash, binutils, w32api, mingw-runtime, libintl2)
>>selected automatically which will pull other packages as well.

>>For cygwin GCC sources install the package gcc-core.

>>You may also need the `make' package and some more packages form the
>>devel category like `bison' & `flex', e.g. if you want to build GCC
>>from source.

> if I want to build GCC from the source that appeared from 
> setup.exe, will I have to apply the patch that appears next to the 
> source directory?
> or is that preapplied?
> or does the patch happen automatically?

The patch isn't applied, the build script does this for you in the
'prep' step, if yopu don't want to use the script you'll need to plly it
manually.  The distributed source should be the same as distributed via
the GCC mirrors (besides the script and patch files). 

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/