Subject: Re: How download gcc + its source?
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: lazer1 <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 10:24:05 +0200

Hallo lazer1,

Am Samstag, 1. Mai 2004 um 18:49 schriebst du:

> Hello,

> I installed Cygwin via http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/setup.exe,

> by downloading first and then installing with everything set to default,

> when I double click the Cygwin icon on Windows XP 
> I get the Cygwin shell,

> I cannot find gcc, I recursively searched the whole of the cygwin directory
> C:\cygwin and there is no file whose name has gcc as a substring,

> I also did 

> ls /bin
> ls /usr/bin

> and found lots of other things, but no gcc,

> on the site itself, I found eg a directory listing of gcc-3.3.1 
> and gcc-3.3.1-src,

> but no download button for either! 

> I dont want to see a directory listing but want to 
> download the entirety of both, preferably as an archive!

> The faq doesnt seem to mention how to download gcc,

> I dont know how to use cvs either,

> So how would I download + install eg the gcc-3.3.1 binary and its source?

> I hope I dont have to use cvs, but if I have to what commands shall I
> type from the cygwin shell?

> gcc-3.3.1 interests me as this specific version is available on another
> platform so I can synchronize the gcc version across platforms,

To install one or more additional packages, just fire up setup.exe and
select them in the chooser view.

GCC is not available as single tarball, you'll need at least the
following package from the `devel' category:
gcc

This will pull also the gcc-mingw-core package which includes the
headers, libraries and symlinks to make use of the -mno-cygwin flag to
create cygwin independant binaries.

If you want to compile C++, Ada, ObjC, Pascal, Fortran or Java sources
you'll need one or more of the gcc-xyz packages, please see the short
description displayed in the setup.exe chooser.

Setup.exe also selects automatically the according MinGW packages if
one of the gcc-xyz packages is selected.  There are also some other
dependencies (i.e. ash, binutils, w32api, mingw-runtime, libintl2)
selected automatically which will pull other packages as well.

For cygwin GCC sources install the package gcc-core.

You may also need the `make' package and some more packages form the
devel category like `bison' & `flex', e.g. if you want to build GCC
from source.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/