Subject: Re: How to set the colors of terminfo's standout mode?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:11:40 -0700

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> [2] For some reason *DOS* echo, type and "copy ... con" commands
> *display* [3] the escape characters instead of executing them, so I had
> to use echo(1). If someone knows a way to let *DOS* commands execute
> escape sequences insteas of displaying them, then please let me know.

If you truly mean DOS, as in Win9x and not any of the NT-style command
prompts, then you need to load ANSI.SYS in config.sys.  The DOS
"console" (if you could even call it that) does not know anything of
escape sequences, so you need a device driver to interpret them.

As a side note, your command:
echo -en '\033[37;40mThis is a text.\033[30;0m'

Gives the desired White on Black for me under rxvt invoked as such:
rxvt -fn "Lucida ConsoleP-11" -sr -e /bin/bash -li
or just:
rxvt -e /bin/bash -li

I'm baffled at why you continue to try to force the inferior Windows
command prompt to do what you want.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/