Subject: The Choices Are Exim, Exim and, er, Exim...
From: "Sabahattin Gucukoglu" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:17:49 +0100

Hi people,

Well, I don't suppose I need make too much more a point of my 
disappointment - seems Cygwin packages include only one of the four major 
MTas (Sendmail, Postfix, Qmail, Exim).  Exim is the only one showing here. 
 Sendmail or Postfix are my faves, and I want one of those.  I've STFW on 
several terms suggesting ports of each of these to Win32 or Cygwin; I was 
shocked at a zero response.  Well, maybe not - mail delivery is a UNIX 
affair (something I plan to change in future :-) ).  Well, I found a lot 
of blabber about Sendmail in 2000, and more articles before this in '99 in 
cygwin-apps on an experimental and highly dodgy port of Sendmail.  I 
suppose, then, that this port is finished, but I see no mention of it.  
I'll say that my searches for packages have been in the provided packages 
with the search feature at cygwin.com - google could well have missed 
something.

What have people's experience been with any of these transports?  I've 
pushed Mercury/32 to its actual limits now, in my desire for serious 
advancement in the MTA department.  (Search for my name and you'll see why 
this is so.)  While I appreciate the issue surrounding fundamentally the 
idea that mail delivery is for UNIX, I honestly think Cygwin should make 
that barrier less apparent - it is, after all, just another UNIX.  I can't 
offer a hand in porting anything (not to my knowledge, anyway, 
particularly as Cyg isn't installed yet :-) ), and since one of the 
purposes of setting up Cygwin in the first place on this Windows box was 
to introduce a UNIX MTA whose config data could be exported out to BSD or 
Linux later when either was installed on the smaller machine I have, the 
use of Cygwin rather depends on one (a fave MTA) being available.

Any ideas, recommendations, advice, suggestions, websites, news?  Much 
appreciated!

Cheers,
Sabahattin
-- 
Thought for the day:
    Intuition (n): an uncanny sixth sense which tells people 
    that they are right, whether they are or not.

Latest PGP Public key blocks?  Send any mail to:
<[email-masked]>

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 (0)20 7,502-1615
Mobile: +44 (0)7986 053399
http://www.sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
Email/MSN: <[email-masked]>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/