Subject: Re: Why cygwin can not find it?
From: "Sabahattin Gucukoglu" <[email-masked]>
To: "Yili Zhao" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:14:45 +0100

Hi Yili,

On 24 Apr 2004 at 7:51, Yili Zhao <[email-masked]> spoke, thus:

>   I use cygiwn to compile a simple application hello.exe in e:\test, when I
>   enter /cyggrive/e/test and execute hello.exe in cygwin bash. However,
>   though hello.exe exists in this directory, cygwin still says that "bash:
>   hello.exe: command not found". If 
> I copy hello.exe to /usr/local/bin, then cygwin can find it.

Bash does not search the current directory by default for files to execute 
if no path is specified.  You can:

1.  Add current directory (".") to your path.  This is not recommended, 
for security reasons.

2.  Learn to live with the new (and IMHO better) convention of addressing 
everything by its full path:
./hello.exe

This question is commonly asked, and could have been answered by the 
Cygwin FAQ.  Please use this valuable resource before asking questions.  
See:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC36

Equally, your subject line doesn't really tell me much about your question 
- you may find response levels to your enquiry to be poor if you do not 
construct a more meaningful subject line.  You just happen to have 
encountered a recently joined participant on the mailing list who hasn't 
set up a filter rule yet - but you won't be so lucky next time, I'm 
ruthless with my mailing list scans, I've a loada mail to look at each 
day.  On the mailing list pages are links and text which you absolutely 
*must* read and understand.  We can't help you unless you help yourself.

Finally, a word of advice from me, because Cygwin gives you chance to use 
NT's cmd.exe or Win9x' command.com as command prompt, you may wish to 
stick with it (add Cygwin binary directories /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin 
/usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin [urgh] to your path environment variable) - 
you may then run tools straight from your more familiar, less unusual (to 
you) "C:\>" prompt.

Cheers,
Sabahattin
-- 
Thought for the day:
    Dictatorship (n): a form of government under which everything 
    which is not prohibited is compulsory.

Latest PGP Public key blocks?  Send any mail to:
<[email-masked]>

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 (0)20 7,502-1615
Mobile: +44 (0)7986 053399
http://www.sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
Email/MSN: <[email-masked]>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/