Subject: RE: Emulating hard links on FAT et al.
From: Larry Hall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)" <[email-masked]>, "'A. Alper Atici'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:44:24 -0400

At 03:02 PM 4/20/2004, you wrote:
>Replying to myself -- bad habits die hard...  Just to dot all the "i"s and
>cross all the "t"s.
>
>One thing I forgot to mention is how to handle link counts.  Those could
>be stored in, for example, the NTEA attributes file for the original (or
>the corresponding special) filename.  I don't see anything wrong with
>requiring NTEA on FAT in order to have hard links, BTW.
>    Igor

Except for the fact that using NTEA requires NT and NTEA causes a quickly
growing file to expand in the root directory of the FAT drive.  The latter 
is what made the "ntea" option in the CYGWIN environment variable troublesome
from day one.  The former calls into question the overall value, since it 
excludes support for the very systems (9x/Me) on which there is no other 
option.  Other than these two points, NTEA is great! ;-)

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746                     

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/