Subject: Re: problem installing libiconv-1.9.2
From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: The Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:52:12 -0400

Steve Kelem wrote:
> What's the trick to getting libiconv to install?  If I try to do "make 
> install" from tcsh, I get the message:
> /bin/install -c -m 644 .libs/cygiconv-2.dll $dldir/cygiconv-2.dll
> /bin/install: cannot remove `/usr/lib/../bin/cygiconv-2.dll': Permission 
> denied
> 
> I assume that this is because I'm using cygwin/tcsh.

probably, the DLL is "in use".  What I do is a
    'make install DESTDIR=...'
and install iconv into a tmp directory.  From there I can (a) close all 
cygwin apps and manually copy the files to the right places, or more 
typically (b) create a setup-compatible installation tarball and then 
use setup.exe to install it (setup handles scheduling of 
finish-install-after-reboot, etc.)

Aint MSWindows grand?

> The main reason I'm trying to recompile iconv is because after building 
> gd-2.0.22, I cannot get the perl module GD-2.12 to link, so I'm trying 
> to build a more recent copy (1.9.2) of libiconv:

Ah, the gentle nudge...

Any updates will have to wait until I'm not working 80+ hours a week. 
Which means late May, it seems.

--
Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/