Subject: Re: Problems with OpenSSH in win32.
From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:25:12 -0500

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:15:57 -0500, Brian Chase wrote in
<[email-masked]>:

>When I go from a Linux console to get a Windows screen, VNC is much 
>easier to set up, but haven't managed to get it to work over SSH, which 
>may be a hard requirement as if going over a WAN.
>
>The other direction, I prefer Cygwin/X and enabling XCMDP on the Linux 
>box for local access.  But I'll be trying all options suggested in this 
>thread, thanks for all the contributions.

VNC does have serious bandwidth limitations. I'd say that they are
worse than, say, what made X11 4.x almost unusable on any pipe tighter
than a T1 hard line (even a fast Token Ring would choke on it, that in
the times when 10MB Ethernet was the domain of the NCSA... :-). And
that's the reason why I suggested TightVNC, performance is acceptable
with a 56K modem link, and it defaults to using SSH tunneling, so for
practical purposes you obtain a cheap VPN.

And now back to your original broadcast.

-- 
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/
[...] every educated man is a theologian, and he doesn't need faith 
to be one. (J.L. Borges)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/