Subject: Re: lstat on FAT - Was: Problem with find on FAT drives
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Pierre A. Humblet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:03:15 -0500

[just to provide a non-flip answer to this subject]
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:39:29PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 04:42:39PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>As you know isdirsep would take 1 extra compare per character.
>
>FWIW I see one place where we could avoid the kind of loop that Volker had.
>
>I wonder if 
>      char *p = strrchr (src, '\0');
>      /* Detect if the user was looking for a directory.  We have to strip the
>should be inside the symlink loop or outside. I guess that depends if
>symlink contents ending with / are special (on Sun the final / is stripped in
>symlinks, dunno about other Unix flavors).

I really hated putting that in there to begin with (and it should be a
'strchr' anyway) but it was required because Windows allows you to say
/foo/bar/ and even /foo/bar/. even when bar isn't a directory.  I don't
believe that the code would work right if that wasn't there.  It would
allow a symlink to /foo/bar/. to work when it shouldn't.

>Also normalize_posix_path strips the final /, except when it calls 
>normalize_win32_path. That makes the code go through extra hoops
>when resolving c:/the/symlink/, it looks for c:/the/symlink/.lnk

I suppose that should be fixed.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/