Subject: Re: Starting a Win32 app from inside Cygwin
From: Robert Mecklenburg <[email-masked]>
To: "Chris Powell" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:47:51 -0700

CP> I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here,
CP> though I'm not even sure this is possible.
CP> 
CP> I currently use cygwin in WinXP to display X session from an AIX
CP> machine.  This works very well.  The software on the AIX box can
CP> call a word processor (Uniplex) on the AIX box to edit text files.
CP> What I'd like to do is instead of launching the AIX word processor
CP> inside of the X session is launch Word on the WinXP machine to
CP> edit the file out on an NFS.
CP> 
CP> Another site is currently doing this, but they are all linux and
CP> OpenOffice.  The script on the AIX box does a rsh back to the
CP> linux box and opens OO word processing with the text file on an
CP> NFS.
CP> 
CP> It there anyway to do this back to a WinXP box?

If I can restate your request as: "I want to use MS Word to edit a
file that lives on my AIX machine."  The obvious answer is to install
Samba on your AIX machine to allow file access from your PC.  This
has nothing to do with X, rsh, or NFS.

Hope this helps,
-- 
Robert

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/