Subject: Possible over allocation of memory resources by cygwin
From: "Charles L. Werner" <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:38:58 +0100

I have observed the following situation:

I have been running a C program that utilizes approximately 132 MB of RAM under both
Cygwin (1.5.9-1, Windows XP professional, 1 GB ram) and under Linux.  The same program with
identical data was run on both machines. One is a 3 GHz P4 the other a 3 GHz Xeon.

On both the Linux machine and Cygwin, top shows about 132 MB of space needed, however,
the  task manager shows an additional commit jumping from 196 to 483 MB when the program starts.
Not only that, but the program runs about 3 times slower. (1500 sec vs 500 sec(Linux)).
A larger program that nominally requires 450 MB, causes the commit charge to go up to over 2 GB!
followed by frantic swapping.

Several program seem to suffer similarly, and I have not seen anything like this before.
Any thoughts? Could this be related to the latest changes in cygwin?

Thanks,

Charles

-- 
Dr. Charles L. Werner
Gamma Remote Sensing AG
Thunstrasse 130
CH-3074 Muri b. Bern, Switzerland

Tel: +41 31 951 70 05
FAX: +41 31 951 70 08
http://www.gamma-rs.ch

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/