Subject: Re: cvs problem under cygwin, cvs documentation
From: Derek Robert Price <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:54:26 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

>Although we have a moderately good workaround (an old version of cvs
>compiled up), we have a long-standing problem with cvs in Cygwin that
>I'm  looking into finally.  We get responses like:
>

My Cygwin compilation works fine and even passes the test suite using
:ext: & ssh to another machine running the CVS server, but my Cygwin
installation is set to use UNIX EOLs and not Windows.  I believe this
was a compile-time option.

>Ah, one other difference is that our /opt/bin/cvs version does not
>complain about CVSROOT starting with ":server:", so the real question
>may be: why doesn't the Cygwin version include that?
>

I'm not sure, but I think whether the :server: method is compiled or not
might only be based on an #ifdef.  Check the windows-NT/* code in the
CVS source distribution.  The only reason :server: was supplied at all
for Windows was that Windows xomes with a broken RSH implementation,
hrm...  that performs some sort of EOL conversion...  Is it possible
that your Cygwin CVS is using the Windows RSH client rather than the
Cygwin RSH?

Again, I've had few recent troubles with the Cygwin client under Windows
and it can pass the test suite in a variety of ways.  I once had
troubles mixing the Cygwin CVS with a Windows CVS in the same sandbox
since the Windows version was saving carriage returns into the CVS/Root
files which Cygwin would later interpret as part of the repository string.

Derek

- --
                *8^)

Email: [email-masked]

Get CVS support at <http://ximbiot.com>!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/