Subject: RE: dvips failing to include cmdunh10 font definition
From: "Tim Reid" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:24:10 +0000

Ah, many thanks. It's all looking much clearer now.

>do you have one of those:
>$ locate cmdunh
>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/jknappen/sauter/b-cmdunh.mf
>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/cmdunh10.mf
>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmdunh10.tfm
>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/vcm/vcmdunh10.tfm
>/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmdunh10.tfm

$ locate cmdunh
locate: /usr/var/locatedb: No such file or directory

Hmmm. I'll have to look into this.

>tdemmer@KFIDEMUC110528:/etc/setup
>$ zgrep cmdunh *
>tetex-base.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/jknappen/sauter/b-cmdunh.mf
>tetex-base.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/cmdunh10.mf
>tetex-base.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmdunh10.tfm
>tetex-base.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/vcm/vcmdunh10.tfm
>tetex-base.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmdunh10.pfb
>tetex-base.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/vf/public/vcm/vcmdunh10.vf
>tetex-tiny.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/cmdunh10.mf
>tetex-tiny.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmdunh10.tfm

This was when it dawned on me. I had tetex-tiny installed (it was
a prerequisite for another package) but not any of the other tetex
packages. Installing tetex-base fixed the problem, and everything seems
to be working fine now.

I guess we're left with two questions:

1) I've never properly understood the intended distinction between
tetex-tiny and tetex-base. However, if tiny is intended to be a small,
self-contained basic distribution, and contains the mf and tfm files for
cmdunh10, shouldn't it have whatever else is required to make the font
work properly in dvips, or know how to build it from the MetaFont source?

2) When I ran dvips, it presumably couldn't find the cmdunh10 font
definition, so it failed to include it. However, I don't recall seeing
any error message, or I might have spotted this earlier. I guess I could
uninstall tetex-base to examine the dvips output again, to see whether
there was anything which I should have noticed, but shouldn't dvips be
more vocal?

But in any case, it's working now.

Many thanks indeed.

Tim Reid

_________________________________________________________________
Sign-up for a FREE BT Broadband connection today! 
http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/