Subject: gcc problem
From: Lauer Rainer <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:33:14 +0100

Hi Gents,
I've installed the latest version of cygwin (as of today 2.03.04). My PC is
running Windows 2000 with service pack 4. Installation is done on my loca
drive d:. I tried a small "C++" and failed, the reason is totally unclear to
me.
The program is:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  int selection;
  bool loop = true;
  
  while (loop)
  {
#if 0    
    cout << endl;
    cout << "*********************\n";
    cout << "*  Learning bed C++ *\n";
    cout << "*********************\n";

    cout << ">>> CHAPTER 4 <<<\n";
    cout << "=================\n\n";

    cout << " 1: Review_5\n";
    cout << "-1: Exit\n";
    cout << "$ ";
    cin >> selection;
    cout << endl;

    switch (selection)
    {
      case -1:
        loop = false;
        break;
      case 0:
        break;
      case 1:
        break;
      case 2:
        break;
      case 3:
        break;
      case 4:
        break;
      case 5:
        break;
      case 6:
        break;
      case 7:
        break;
      case 8:
        break;
      case 9:
        break;
      case 10:
        break;
      case 11:
        break;
    }//  switch (selection)
#endif    
  }//  while (loop)
  return 0;
}//main

The error message is:
$ gcc -o gtest gtest.cc
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccCmpxzX.o(.text+0x4d):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init[in-charge]()'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccCmpxzX.o(.text+0x68):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init [in-charge]()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Desperatelly I installed the complete (!) cygwin - the result is still the
same.

When I set the #if 0 to #if 1the error message looks like:
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xa1):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::endl<
char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xa8):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xad):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char>
>::operator<<
(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
(*)(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&))'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xbc):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xc1):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char>>&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xd0):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xd5):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char>>&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xe4):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xe9):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char>>&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xf8):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0xfd):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char>>&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x10c):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x111):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char>>&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x120):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x125):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char>>&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x134):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x139):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x148):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x14d):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x15b):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cin'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x160):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char>
>::operator>>(int&)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x168):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
std::endl
<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char>>&)'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x16f):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::cout'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x174):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char>
>::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&
(*)(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&))'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x1c1):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init[in-charge]()'
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/lauerr/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccJwpezK.o(.text+0x1dc):gtest.cc:
undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init [in-charge]()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

What's wrong (template, path wrong, library missing)?

Can you help me, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Reggies
		Rainer Lauer
		Senior Software Engineer
		TV, Aftersales and Accessories
		
		DEUTSCHE THOMSON-BRANDT GmbH     
		Hermann-Schwer-Strasse 3
		78048 Villingen-Schwenningen - Germany
		tel. +49 (0) 77 21 85 23 27
		fax +49 (0) 77 21 85 20 32
		[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/