Subject: Re: read(): varblk tape records...(& Fix for : read())
From: "Jason Winter" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:03:11 +0000

Hi Corinna,

If you could look into that it would be great.  I know there's a few 
'Hercules mainframe' emulator users who would like to get their tape drives 
working, and I think this will fix it.

You are right, I've not looked at the Cygwin source code...  Only traced my 
own programs to fix the difference I've discovered in the APIs.  Could I ask 
why you need to allocate a buffer and then copy it to the buffer I supply?  
Wouldn't it be easier to calculate a new address when calling ReadFile and 
do without the extra memcpy?  Just thinking of speed, needless mem-copies 
and needless buffers.

If read() turns out to need a change, could you also check why I need to set 
varblk mode before each write to remind the API what's going on - from what 
I remember a second write returns an error unless I reset varblk mode each 
time.  (I call a routine to set to before each read and write, just to be 
sure... but would like to know that all the extra code can be removed at 
some time later.)

Thanks,
Jason.

_________________________________________________________________
SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here  
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/