Subject: Re: [Fwd: Bug: Perl:IsWinNT undefined & RFE, only use "/" in reg values, not names..?]
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:09:03 -0800

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:29:01AM -0800, linda w <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I still haven't figured out how to get Tk to build from cpan
> w/o the "x" param.  It builds when I drop into the build
> dir "view Tk" from in cpan, and build it w/the "x", but
> to install, I finally just ignore the makefile which seems
> to have the target:
> install:
>    all pure_install pure_doc_install.
> 
> The "all" goes off and starts building things again -- if
> I just do a make install, it goes off and starts compiling
> things even though, supposedly it's already been built.

Some kind of clock problem confusing make?  Or is this just the
normal stuff you see with nested makefiles, where the top-level
makefile has to invoke the others to see if they are up-to-date?
(Lots of entering directory/leaving directory messages.)
The actual make commands you are using and their output would be helpful.

Last time you asked, I think you got the answer: Tk-804* builds
successfully only with the x option, Tk800* will build without.  I
just tried most recent versions of both and also see that (though
even Tk800.025 gets a number of test failures, so you would need to
use the force command from the cpan shell).

I see brief mention of this on the pTK list:
   http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=ptk

anwered by Nick Ing-Simmons (the perl/Tk maintainer) with an request
for someone more familiar with cygwin to help out:
   http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/ptk/2003-12/msg00296.html

But when I try Tk-804.025-beta15, I get a lot farther than that before
it fails:
gcc -c  -I.. -I../pTk/mTk/xlib -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fno-strict-aliasing -DUSEIMPORTLIB -O2   -DVERSION=\"804.025\" -DXS_VERSION=\"804.025\"  "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/CORE"  -D__WIN32__ -D_WIN32 -Wall -Wno-implicit-int -Wno-comment -Wno-unused -D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__ Xlib.c
Xlib.xs:13: error: syntax error before '*' token
Xlib.xs:13: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
Xlib.xs: In function `boot_Tk__Xlib':
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Xlib.xs:378: error: `XlibVtab' undeclared (first use in this function)
Xlib.xs:378: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Xlib.xs:378: error: for each function it appears in.)
Xlib.xs:378: error: syntax error before ')' token
make[1]: *** [Xlib.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sthoenna/dl/tmp/Tk-804.025_beta15/Xlib'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

> What is lost by allowing perl to make libwin32 calls, in
> this case, is not violating the principle of "least surprise".

Again, the perl-libwin32 package containing the Win32 calls
first became available via setup *after* the most recent perl
package.  I expect perl will automatically load the Win32::
stuff (at least to the extent the native win32 port does) with
the next release or two.

In the meantime, you will either need to patch perl to do this
yourself or set PERL5OPT=-MWin32CORE, as I believe was previously
mentioned.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/