Subject: Re: Crash of mysql under cygwin with g++ 3.3.1
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Fabrice Marchal <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:28:36 +0100

Hallo Fabrice,

>>>I only had to do a small work-around because my client keeps telling me
>>>that it "cannot connect through /var/mysql/mysql.sock". The
>>>workaround is to use mysql_real_connect with host=127.0.0.1 because
>>>if I use "localhost" it turns to named pipes instead of using TCP.
>>>Any idea why it is that way?

>>No, sorry.  It never worked with TCP/IP when using host=localhost, I
>>always use the IP address of the host where the server is running,
>>only exception is when I use the Cygwin-MySQL server running at my
>>local box where it also works via /var/mysql/mysql.sock.

> Well, I wonder how the "mysql" client manage to connect: for instance
> the client which is compiled in you binaries doesnt work (i.e.
> "cannot connet throuch socket....") while the mysql clientprovided
> in Mysql-4.0.18 for windows work. 

The native Windows server and clients default to TCP/IP, the Cygwin
versions default to using /var/mysql/mysql.sock, if you specify
`host=127.0.0.1` it will work with the Cygwin client too because it
will use TCP/IP then.

Look in the source where it is specified what to use as default,
or there should be a part guarded with `#ifdef WIN32` where is
specified to use TCP/IP.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/