Subject: Re: Disappearing Bash and __getreent procedure
From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 06:09:22 -0500

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:07:23 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote in
<[email-masked]>:

>On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:08:03PM -0500, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
>>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:14:38 +0000, Ryan _ wrote in
>><[email-masked]>:
>>>Cygwin, a window appeared (looked like a dos prompt) then disappeared. 
>>
>>My suggestion. Delete the whole cygwin directory, save up your copy of
>>setup.exe, nuke the cached files, use regedit and search all
>>KH*/Programs/Cygnus trees in the registry and kill them. Reinstall
>>from the internet afresh.
>
>Argh.  No.
>
>This is undoubtedly due to an old version of cygwin1.dll somewhere on
>the system, maybe in \windows\system32 (where it doesn't belong).

Ahh yes! I knew I had forgotten something: "After removing cygwin from
your system search you system partition and all the extra directories
available in your path variable for additional copies of cygwin1.dll".
:-)

>Following the instructions at http://cygwin.com/problems.html should
>be adequate for tracking the problem down.

I sometimes think people want to blow their legs with a shotgun at the
height of their lower belt line (particularly young men in first-year
college and late high-school); I am happy to oblige. It is not my
place to judge; as the millenary Shri-Lanka saying says (properly
quoted by Arthur C. Clarke): "Even the Gods themselves are helpless
against human stupidity...".

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/